working groups Pre-proposal application Form
Please read the information below and use the form at the bottom to submit your pre-proposal. The deadline for pre-proposals is January 8, 2021.
The Conservation Paleobiology Network (CPN) seeks pre-proposals for Working Groups focused on any aspect of conservation paleobiology. Working Groups are a core activity of the CPN with additional details available here: https://conservationpaleorcn.org/working-groups/
CPN Working Groups can focus on any topic related to conservation paleobiology and we encourage applicants to think as broadly as possible. Examples of Working Groups could include, but are not limited to:
1. Conservation paleobiology as a translational science.
2. Conservation paleobiology and novel ecosystems.
3. Understanding and evaluating species-level or ecosystem baselines.
Successful pre-proposals will describe (1) the relevance of the proposed Working Group to conservation paleobiology, (2) the gap that this Working Group seeks to fill, and (3) proposed outcomes. While proposals can focus on any aspect of conservation paleobiology, proposals should highlight the potential applications to biological conservation and/or ecosystem management. Working Group participants must include practitioners focused on applied conservation or management.
The CPN Working Group competition is open to all members of the CPN and larger community. The PIs must be members of the CPN and Working Group participants are also encouraged to join the CPN (You can become a network member by filling out a member form. Membership is open to anyone and is free, and it simply means that we add you to our member directory and contact list for network-related communication). There is no limit to the number of Working Group participants and meetings can be held in the USA or internationally. Funds can be used for a wide variety of Working Group activities, including travel and logistical support, publication or outreach costs, etc.
To be considered for evaluation, all pre-proposals must adhere to the following criteria:
1. Description: A brief overview of the Working Group with clear goals and/or hypotheses, including
preliminary list of anticipated products.
2. Working Group Format and Timeline: Describe the format of the Working Group (e.g., virtual, in-person, hybrid), the frequency of meetings, expected number of participants, and the start/end dates.
3. Qualifications: Please provide 2-page National Science Foundation (NSF)-style CVs for all Working Group PIs. Click here for formatting instructions.
4. Leadership and Participants: Identify the Leadership team (PIs) and a preliminary list of other participants. Consistent with the CPN diversity statement, we are dedicated to broadening participation of individuals from diverse cultures, career stages, and life experiences, including historically underrepresented groups in STEM. Proposals must describe how meetings and decision-making will be structured to promote and support diversity, equity, and inclusion.
5. Budget: Estimated cost and expenses. The CPN can provide $15k-25k for each Working Group. If necessary, highlight additional funding available to support activities and goals.
6. Length: The text of pre-proposals should be no more than one page.
7. Deadline: All pre-proposals must be submitted to the CPN using the form below by January 8, 2021 (11:59 pm Eastern Standard Time)
All pre-proposals will be evaluated by the CPN Working Groups Committee (see below) and peer-reviewed by CPN members.
Evaluation of proposals will focus on:
1. Impact and significance of the proposed Working Group.
2. Relevance of Working Group goals to conservation and/or management.
3. Potential for community building within and outside of the CPN.
4. Experience and qualifications of the Leadership Team and Working Group composition (career stage, professional backgrounds, diversity, etc.).
5. Innovation in format and costs.
Successful pre-proposals will be selected by February 26, 2021 with details on full proposals provided at that time.
What to expect for full proposal preparation
1. Full proposals are anticipated to consist of a 4-5 page narrative describing the proposed Working Group, its activities, and potential products or outcomes related to conservation and management.
2. In addition to the narrative, full proposals will need to provide a detailed budget and justification, short 2 page CVs for all primary participants, and details on the Working Group timeline, format, venue, etc.
3. Additional details will accompany the pre-proposal decisions in February, 2021.
4. We anticipate that full proposals will be due on May 15, 2021, with final decisions reached in summer of 2021.
5. The CPN anticipates funding 3-6 Working Groups
Conservation Paleobiology CPN Working Group Committee Members: Joshua Miller (University of Cincinnati, co-Chair), Torben Rick (Smithsonian Institution, co-Chair), Kyle Joly (National Park Service), Melissa Kemp (University of Texas), Hannah Kempf (University of California Davis), Loren McClenechan (Colby College), Jeff Rasic (National Park Service), Lynn Wingard (United States Geological Survey)
If you have questions or issues with the submission form, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have specific questions related to the working groups, you can either email us and we will forward that communication to the working groups panel, or you can contact the chairs of the CPN working groups panel directly.